22 September 2009

(Site Analysis)


The mapping here was used to explore some of the regions in and around Doha. I knew approximate locations of Education city, and the Corniche stands out along with the Islamic Art Museum, but the corridors shaped by the interaction of these major centers was not really known to me. I mapped secondary roads to their first significant intersection and used those intersections to approximate a region I think corresponds to public corridors, where I would need to locate this building. The circle tagged "What's Here?" is only one of a handful of site's I'm considering, I'm also looking into the pattern derived from the traffic roundabouts and how their functional spacing could locate the ideal site for this project. Also, public transportation is not really developed but is on the rise, so I think some healthy speculation based on existing routes could add some depth to the transportation component of the mapping.

1 comment:

  1. I think that your initial step into understanding our site and its adjacencies is right on target. By speculating certain aspects of movement patterns it is hard to gauge how people exactly interact within your 'what's here' area. What is the main means of transportation? How are these transportation networks influencing your site? I think establishing whether it is a destination point or a transient zone would help understand the movement of users within your area.

    ReplyDelete